Sunday, January 20, 2013

readers comments


Some recent comments from readers…a pleasure to open my email and find messages like these.

Dear Maggie, What a great book! And a great story - love, romance, pain, sorrow, cultures coming together, war and its aftermath, oppression of several sorts, a picture of children growing and developing.  It certainly drew me; it creates a very real picture and sense of the people, the feelings, thoughts, context, background...  I always love it when there is a portrayal of the influence of the past in our present lives.  You did this so well. Your book is a huge gift to the world; anytime someone really opens up, it creates space for the rest of us.  Thank you for that. 

Dear Maggie, I'm so glad to have read ‘The Road to Keringet.’ It is a naked view of family - one that is incredibly challenging to articulate and I think you did it beautifully. I appreciated the depth of connection and honest revealing of truth. Congratulations.

Oh Maggie, what a great book. There are still tears in my eyes.  Such a moving story, told so well. So vivid, I'll be able to picture the places your mother lived for ever. I guess the tears are for the struggles of your mother's life and for the depth of your shared and rediscovered bond.  It's a very moving mother/daughter story. The book just sails along!  So moving!  So well written!  We should all have such motivated daughters.  

Dear Maggie, I devoured your book in just a few days.  I just finished it a few minutes ago.  I wanted to write you to tell you how much I liked it.  My cheeks are still wet with tears I shed when I read your description of the moments after your Mom died in the senior's home - the grace.

Dear Maggie, My heart ached for everybody in this book.  I marvelled at the sweep of time and history and place that permeates your family's story.  How wonderful life is that, as time passes, you can begin to see your parents for who they were as individuals, with hopes, dreams, quirks, and failings - but whole in their totality.  I think there must be healing in that, when you move beyond the hurts and baggage of a difficult upbringing.  There are nuggets of wisdom in this book that I marked as I read, and will go back to. 

Dear Maggie, I have been so moved by your extraordinary book, The Road to Keringet.  The language and the story are beautifully interwoven to tell of your mother's life and death, and the unfolding of your relationship to her. Nowhere did it devolve into sentimentality as it well could. What a labour of love and a tribute to your mother as well as to you. Thank you for writing it. I have been recommending it to many of my friends, especially people in the therapy world.



No comments:

Post a Comment